Popular Posts

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Caregiver Help


Alz Well


Urinating in a heater vent.  Asking the same question ten times in five minutes.  Hiding keys, nail clippers, pocket knives under pillows and beds.   Walking boldly into the house next door.    Getting lost on vacation in a large city.  Yelling unreasonably at spouse, children, and grandchildren.  Refusing to cooperate with loved ones.  Unable to figure out what to order at a restaurant.  Unable to figure out the tip or how to make the payment at the restaurant.  Giving passionate kisses at Costco.  Telling untrue stories at a dinner party.  Driving dangerously.  Burning food and forgetting to turn off the stove.

These are typical situations caregivers of Alzheimer’s Disease patients face daily.  Some of these scenarios are mine.  Others were confided by care-giving friends.  It’s difficult to fathom our intelligent, charming loved ones have come to this!

Who are dementia caregivers?  They are not just spouses or others living in the same home. 

They are:
            siblings
            children and grandchildren
            nieces and nephews
            friends
            next-door neighbors
            in-laws and out-laws

They are you.  They are me.

It’s stressful business caring for a parent, spouse, or friend suffering from this monstrously incurable disease.   Sometimes it’s more than overwhelming.  What to do? We didn’t ask for this.  It’s been thrown at us like a dirty rotten tomato in slow motion.

As I discover new ways in dealing with my unsolicited new role, I’d love to share my findings with you.  I would also love insight and advice from you, the reader.

Future posts on Alz-Well will include:

·      Facing fears
·      Nurturing caregivers 
·      Communicating with Alzheimer’s patients
·      Keeping healthy – physically and mentally
·      Dealing with troubling behavior
·      Keeping socially active
·      Engaging the help of friends and family
·       Care-giving resources
·      Helpful books, articles and websites
·      Keeping up with hobbies and finding new ones.

Is it possible to be happy as a caregiver?  We’ve got to be, at least most of the time.  Let’s figure out ways to find joy, so at the end of the day we can truthfully say,  Alz-Well. 

Let’s discover Alz-Well together.

4 comments:

  1. I work at a Senior clinic and have witnessed the tears, heartaches, the anguish, the physical and the emotional stress that a loved one (caregiver) goes through.

    The caregiver's Physical health - So important to take care of self. You can not be of anything for anybody else unless you take care of yourself.

    The caregiver's tears - Tears are important. Tears help relieve stress. Tears brings comfort to the soul. Every drop of tear will bring you back to life and laughter.

    The caregiver's confusion - not truly understand Alzheimer. A lot of studying, A lot of work. Knowledge will bring understanding.

    The caregiver's anguish - feeling alone. Taking full responsibility. And the why me? Why him?

    The caregiver's love - Respect

    The caregiver's prayer - “And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.” Doctrine and Covenants 84:88

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Charmaine, for these beautiful thoughts filled with much wisdom. I appreciate your taking time to share. They are helpful for me and will be helpful to everyone else following the blog who are dealing with these issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime Ellen. I have a lot of good information and have seen great results (blessings and miracles). One of the physician I work for Dr Dennis Genebach specialize in Alzheimer/ Geriatric Care.
      And I believe in the power of the Priesthood and recognizing God's tender mercies. If ever needing to talk, I will here for you. I can email you some helpful useful ideas. Both medical and natural. (((HUGS)))

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you're blogging about this, Mom! I look forward to all your posts!

    ReplyDelete