Popular Posts

Monday, September 4, 2017

What's Troubling You?

My husband has Alzheimer’s Disease.  He has been cursed with this terrible disease for many years.  I started noticing changes in him almost 11 years ago, but I’m certain he hid it from me much longer than that.   

He has lived in the Veteran’s Home Memory Unit for a year now.  I cared for him at home for as long as I could.  Then, sadly,  it became too much for me.  

The first several months I visited him every single day.  Lately it’s been every other day, at which I sometimes feel guilty.  I want to cherish our time together, but family and friends are important, too.

Bob no longer understands my questions: 

“What is your name?”

 “What is my name?” 

He can no longer feed himself.  Every now and then he uses his fork to take a couple of bites.  But usually, he just stares at his food until the CNAs or I feed him.

He can’t dress himself.  He can’t finish a sentence.  He can’t brush his teeth, comb his hair, or shave.  

He can still walk without falling.  He can give hugs - really big hugs… and he can smile for a picture.  He also can sing along to Happy Birthday, which our children and grandchildren cherish.

When I am with him I say over and over, “I love you, Bob.  I love you, Sweetheart.  I love you, Darling.”   For the past couple of weeks, he doesn’t repeat these words.  This is difficult, very very difficult for me.

I know I’m not the only one in the world with difficulties.  

What is troubling you today, this week, this month, this year?


This week:
I delighted in watching grandchildren play, the fragrance of late summer roses and lavender, and gazing at the stars in my patio hammock.  I delighted in my date with Bob - holding hands on a Millcreek Canyon boardwalk next to a stream.  I delighted in interacting with other residents in the VA, especially the ones who don't get visitors.

I feasted on peaches, raspberries, almonds, pecans, cucumbers, beans and, of course, two daily pieces of dark chocolate.

I worked on my granddaughter’s very pink birthday quilt.  I stayed up until 1 A.M almost every night reading My Bondage and My Freedom by Frederick Douglass, The Longevity Plan by Dr. John Day, scriptures, and 6 other books.  I realized I was reading or listening to 9 different books at a time, which is ridiculous 

I texted, talked with, and hung out with family and friends.   I spent time alone.  I'm an introvert.  

I spent time on my knees.  


What is making you happy today?

12 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen I'm trying to use this blog. Not sure if my post is getting to you. I am sending our love today. Clora n Pete

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see this posted. Hope you see it. I wish I knew more about navigating this blog. But for now I'm here. It must be very difficult for you, I can't imagine. One day maybe you and I can talk. Let me say for now how much we love you and will always cherish our times together. Clora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please let me know if you got these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see this posted. Hope you see it. I wish I knew more about navigating this blog. But for now I'm here. It must be very difficult for you, I can't imagine. One day maybe you and I can talk. Let me say for now how much we love you and will always cherish our times together. Clora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your love and kind comments, Clora. I appreciate your friendship through the years - in person and on-line. Love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you. Your writing is beautiful. Your loss tangible. Your courage inspiring. I will try to touch base with Bryce people and get together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Christine, for such kind and encouraging words. I love you, too. It would be great to get together. When is our next Bryce Reunion?

      Delete
  7. Ellen, you are amazing and are handling this horrible disease with grace. Thank you for sharing some of your heartache. As a fellow introvert, I know how hard that can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Trudy, for your understanding, kind and encouraging words. Hopefully we are getting close to cures for this and other terminal diseases.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a terrible disease - I cannot know the heartache you must feel because I have never gone through this. When you share what you are going through, I would imagine it would really help others who struggle with this too. My prayers are with you, now and always! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I so appreciate your kind words and prayers. I hope this helps at least one person whose loved one has Alzheimer's.

      Delete