Popular Posts

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Separated

My husband and I don’t live together.  

We’re not divorced.   We’re not mad at each other.  He is not traveling out of state.  My husband has Alzheimer’s Disease.  He is now living in a lock-down care facility at the Veterans Home.

Having him go into a care center was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve ever had to make.  The VA called saying they had an available bed.  Knowing how difficult it is to get into this facility, I had put my husband’s name on the list two years ago.  Still, I wasn’t prepared for the call.  

After discussing it with our children, his siblings, and my siblings, we were  all 100% on board of having him go.  I’m thankful for that.  If he was capable of making decisions, we all feel my husband would agree the Veterans Home is the best place for him to be, now.

But it’s still hard - very very hard - for us to be living apart.  When I ask the workers how he is doing, they say he is not sleeping at night.  Well imagine that.  I’m not either.  

Some well meaning friends and acquaintances tell me, “The Veterans home will give him better care than you were able to give him at home.”

My rebellious self thinks, it’s a great place, but better than ME? 

Do they know that I can tell exactly when he is hungry and when he needs to go to the bathroom?

Do they know I have it down to a science how to help him get dressed in the morning and (sometimes) undressed at night?

Do they know that the day before he went into the VA Home, we were in the mountains walking along a stream, holding hands, which we have been doing almost every day this summer?  

Do they know we snuggled on our couch practically every night watching clean mushy Hallmark movies?  

Hmmm.  But perhaps, on the other hand,  they know  that showers were becoming a disaster.   Maybe they know that I sometimes had to cut my husband out of his clothes, because that was the only way I could figure out how to get them off.

Perhaps they know, as well as I do, that things are getting tough, and would soon become more than I can handle.  

At night, I am lonely - very very lonely.  We’ve been married 50 years.  We celebrated our anniversary five days before he entered the VA home.  I grieve not having him next to me.

When I wake up, my first thought is Bob.

After I get my chores done, I take a 15 minute drive to visit him.  He’s shaved and dressed and sitting contently in the common room with the other guys.  

We go upstairs for little walks in the courtyard.  We watch the tortoise eat strawberries.   We sing, “Let Me Call You Sweetheart” and “Down by the Old Millstream”.  I ask him what his name is, and he usually doesn’t know.  When we go back inside, Lulu, the baby kangaroo is often there, jumping down the corridor in diapers. 


We take the elevator back down to the Alzheimer’s Unit.  On our way down, we hug and kiss. I tell him, “I love you.”  Before the elevator door opens, I wait for him to tell me he loves me, too.  On good days, he does.   

32 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this, Ellen. I admire the courage it took to make the decision to move Bob, and to now create a new and challenging routine that accommodates the love the 2 of you continue to share. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lisa, for your kind thoughts and hugs. I appreciate your reading this and hope all is well with you and your family. Hugs to you, too.

      Delete
  3. You are such a cute couple - this all takes a lot of courage and faith - things will be better some day - "and it came to pass......" remember, it didn't come to stay! xoxoxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Margaret, for your clever and kind comments. We all have challenges as we travel through life, and you are truly an excellent example of courage and faith, which I am also striving for. Love to you and your family.

      Delete
  4. The Filipino Saints will forever be grateful for your Christ-like service here in the Philippines, where you were called to serve as fulltime missionaries for the Church. And me and my husband will always remember your kindness and charity when we were visiting Salt lake city last 2011. During that time Bro Van Orman has an injury and has difficulty moving around but he decided to give us that lift around the city with you always by his side. We love you both and we are friends forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sister Baligod, for your kind words and love. One of Bob's and my very happiest times together was serving our mission in the Philippines. We were so blessed to meet you and your husband. I'm glad we were able to spend time with you in Manila as well as Salt Lake City. We love you.

      Delete
  5. Our hearts are with you. In spite of our problems, at least we are together. We are thankful. Life gets harder and harder I think so we may become humble. I need that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karla, thank you so much for reading and for your thoughtful comments. We had such a great time serving our mission with you and your husband. I know you have health issues, also. My prayers and love are with you and your family.

      Delete
  6. I love to read your blogs. The are so touching to the heart and help with having more of an understanding of Alzheimers. Hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Kim, for reading and for your many kindnesses to me and my family. I'm looking forward to visiting Bob with you tomorrow morning.

      Delete
  7. Wow.... So moving. And inspiring. I'm praying for healed hearts, comfort, and wisdom during this trial! Thank you so much for sharing in such an open and vulnerable way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Connie, for reading and for your beautiful comments. I deeply appreciate your prayers for me and and my family. Love to you and yours.

      Delete
  8. Such beautiful words. You should post it onto Memory People. Just when I think it is getting easier to be without my hubby, I have something happen to cause a meltdown and wish I had him back, but I'd have to have the whole man, not the guy who had to rely on his wife to do all and everything. It's then I have to remember that the Lord will stand by me, He will help me through the tough times and be ready to lift me when I fall. You are in my prayers. Oh, the sweet man who's wife had to place him a few months ago up here in Ogden, passed away two weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful words. You should post it onto Memory People. Just when I think it is getting easier to be without my hubby, I have something happen to cause a meltdown and wish I had him back, but I'd have to have the whole man, not the guy who had to rely on his wife to do all and everything. It's then I have to remember that the Lord will stand by me, He will help me through the tough times and be ready to lift me when I fall. You are in my prayers. Oh, the sweet man who's wife had to place him a few months ago up here in Ogden, passed away two weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, June, for reading and for your beautiful comments. I know the Lord is watching over both of us in our loneliness, but it still is surely difficult at times. Won't it be wonderful when we are together again with our "restored" husbands?

      Delete
  10. Hi, Ellen. These words are beautiful, and share just the love we probably all hope to have. I remember reading once a statement when someone was questioned as to why they visit a spouse with Alzheimer's: "He may not remember me, but I remember him." Thank you for sharing such tender and honest feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debbie, for your beautiful comments and thank you for reading. It means a lot to me. I am visiting Bob every day, and like you said, it means the world to me, and probably not so much to him.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful, Aunt Ellen. What a love story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kelli. I'm sure you have more on your plate than I do. I truly admire how you handle tough times. Love to you and your family.

      Delete
  12. Bob's spirit knows who you are and he is knows your hurt as he too feels the hurt. And our Savior will encircle you and Bob with His loving arms. He will help guide you and Bob. You are an angel and when you are in service for others promises are made that angels (ancestors) and our Savior will help Bob through this difficult time. I believe Bob too is in service for those on the other side. We may not see it physically but our spirits know. I took care of my mother-in-law for four years and I do know. Personal experiences.... sacred ... But I do know. (((HUGS))) to you my sweet friend. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ellen, I am touched by your humble, loving, documentary entry of this stage of your life's journey. It's precious and wondrous. Thanks for giving us a peek into your emotions. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Valerie, for your encouraging comments and love. It seems like forever since we've seen each other. I cherish our days in Cottonwood Heights together. Love to you and your family.

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much to all of you who have commented on this blog. I deeply appreciate your beautiful thoughts, support, love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love you and Bob Ellen. Thanks for sharing, my heart is breaking for you both. My mother is at the beginning of this journey and it's helped tremendously to read your bittersweet thoughtful experience here as I try to help and support her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sad to hear that your mother is in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's. How old is she? How long ago did you first notice changes in her memory and cognitive ability. Thank you so much for your comments. I love you and your family, too.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. I think of you often and feel happy you have made this big step for you, Bob, and your family. Carry On warrior....with love to the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan, oh how I wish I could be the warrior you are wanting me to be! I'll try. Thank you for reading, and for thinking of Bob and me. It was a big step, but I still feel, the correct one.

      Delete
  17. This made me teary eyed. So beautiful. Thank you for sharing. (And clean mushy hallmark movies is what I love watching too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jannie, for reading. I'm happy to hear you like Hallmark, too. Hopefully we can watch together one of these first days.

      Delete
  18. You are such a great example. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jodie, for your kind words and for reading this.

      Delete