Popular Posts

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Thankful


Thankful...

I am grateful for family and friends who:

·      take my husband out to eat when I have other appointments.

·      call  or text asking how I am doing and then lovingly listen.

·      call and talk to my husband, not asking questions because they are too difficult to answer, but reminiscing old times.

·      do puzzles with him and kindly ignore when wrong pieces are put together.

·      bring dinner and visit with us.

·      come to family dinners and activities for socializing.

·      go to plays, ballet and concerts with us.

·      take my husband for a Slurpee or ice cream cone and help him buy flowers for me with a love note attached.

·      treat him with love and respect and don’t correct him when he says things that aren’t quite right.


·      think of us or pray for us.




I’m thankful for the many lovely years we’ve spent together.  I’m thankful for the many hours we spend together now walking or hiking, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, doing dishes, folding laundry, and watching TV, hand in hand.

I’m thankful that my husband is loving, gentle, appreciative, and kind to me.  I hope and pray this will continue because I know it doesn’t for everyone with Alzheimer’s.

The disease is progressing.  Life is getting a little more difficult.  But I know I can do hard things.  I know God is watching over and blessing us.

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! You are so patient and the ultimate caregiver for Dad. We are all thankful for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all learning from you, and yes, you are now doing hard things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just read all your blogs, Ellen, and enjoyed them. I particularly liked your metaphor of the rotten tomato being thrown in slow motion. What a great description of knowing how bad this will get, though we are not there yet! Hang in there. Hugs, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete